In this episode, I spoke with Ahrefs CMO Tim Soulo about the common challenges any early CMO faces and how to push past those. We also discussed Ahrefs’s remote marketing team setup and their playbook.
Two things here:
- 24:30 – 25:33 – Choppy internet here, so just skip it. I edited it out in the actual podcast episode but kept it raw and real here.
- Please excuse my audio quality in this episode – I forgot to switch to my podcasting mike before we started recording.
- Ahrefs always had remote-friendly processes in the company and it was also pushed quite heavily by the CEO. That made it easy for Tim to build his remote marketing team, despite the fact that most of the team works out of the Singapore office. (12:55)
- Blog translation is a huge untapped opportunity for businesses. (26:50)
- Content promotion is very similar to product marketing. Just like how a great product sells and gets promoted by its users, great content that stands out is admired and shared by its readers on its own. (39:00)
- Avoid writing about a topic if you’re not a professional in that domain. (44:00)
|Apply to be a subscriber to the world’s only newsletter for remote marketing teams. I’ve been running it for 4 years now and I craft each newsletter edition with a lot of love, sweat and tears (okay this is an exaggeration).|
That’s one of the reasons why I vet every single person who signs up and decide who’s eligible to be part of the newsletter. It’s 100% free.